Saturday, October 18, 2008

My hair smells like smoke!

Two nights ago we camped out on the beach of the Kinneret. It was so nice. We had s'mores (but they don't taste like they do in America). We went swimming in the sea (it was a little freaky, but that's just because I get scared in dark water). I wanted my hair dry before going to bed so I got close to the fire and dried it. It worked great but now my hair, even after 2 separate hair washings (I always rinse and repeat in each washing), smells like smoke! Not even good wood smoke, just smoke. I think my shampoo isn't making the smell any better because it is mint, so it amplifies the bad smell somehow.

Camping out was so much fun. I slept so good and usually I don't when I camp out. It was the sound of waves that put me to sleep.




Then we got up, packed up, and went to Gamla. Gamla is an ancient city that the Romans took over. They call it the "Masada of the North" because when the Romans breeched the wall all of the people committed suicide because they didn't want to become prisoners and tortured by them. So the jumped off the top of the mountain the city was on. Crazy story and crazy to be there.


We then went to Qazin, an ancient city that have been turned into a living history tourist site. It was so interesting because I got to see how people lived and what their homes looked like. The size of the cities way back when was determined by home much water was available. This city had a small stream coming through it so about 75 families could survive from it. (In this picture we are learning from this guy how to make olive oil the ancient way. The picture after it is the synagogue of the city: Which a common misconception for synagogues are that they didn't exist before the Temple was destroyed. The truth is that they existed but their role changed when destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem. Before then they were like community centers where a bunch of the city/village happenings took place).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're so good at journalling... i wish i could journal that much in skills classes!
i love how you spent a couple paragraphs telling about your hair... you're such a hair-dresser, beaver!
~lisa