Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Morel Mushroom Hunting 101

My first mushroom hunting adventure (since I was a little girl) resulted, after 40 minutes, with a Bud Light beer can. Ha!

My second adventure resulted in these...






And this...




I don't think it is edible. No pictures of it came up under the Google images search for "edible wild mushrooms".



I started out just going outside to take pictures of the dandelions and "purple weeds" along the road to the Teen Village. Look at the awesome dividing line these two weeds have created. 






 I decided to give mushroom hunting another try and checked out the woods at camp. Dad was just a few minutes behind me. He gave me some good tips. 


1. Use a mesh bag instead of a plastic sack so that you can spread the mushroom's spores around and have more chances or finding more mushrooms later on. 
2. Look around standing dead trees that are loosing their bark. 
3. Morels grow in packs...just like wolves. So make sure you check out the area well once you find one. 
4. Once you find one on your own it is easier to look for them.
5. Move and change your point of view. You will most likely discover some that you missed. 
6. Don't wear flip flops, like I did today...big mistake. I stepped in lots of poison ivy. :Z
7. IF you step in poison ivy wash your feet/skin with soap and cold water (warm-hot water makes your pores open and allows the poison ivy oils to penetrate). 


Hope you learned something valuable to your own Morel-hunting adventures!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those purple and yellow flowers are awesome!!! but mushrooms are gross, just thought I'd let you know

-lisa j